Shropshire History

Shropshire

Military Sites

Return

to Index

 

Shropshire has had an amazing number of military establishments, ranging from barracks to ammunition storage depots.  Most of these were built during the Second World War but some date from earlier.  A few of these have surface remains but many have disappeared or been reused for other purposes.  Only a few remain in use today. There is a separate list of those dating from the First and Second World Wars.

 

 

Drill Hall Project

 

RAF Bridgnorth

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gazetteer of Sites

 

Army Ranges, Llansilin (SJ228292)

The border between Shropshire and Powys crossed the range.

 

Baschurch Drill Hall, Baschurch (SJ4211)

Housed elements of 'A' Squadron Shropshire Yeomanry. Now closed.

 

Broadgate HQ, Ludlow (SJ5174)

Welsh Border Sub-Area HQ.

 

Cleehill Drill Hall, Cleehill (SO5975)

Housed elements of 'G' Company 4th Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. Now closed

 

Clive Army Barracks, Ternhill (SJ638313)

Created in 2004 by taking over the accommodation of RAF Ternhill.  Named after Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive.  In 2007 it became the home base for 1st Battalion Royal Irish Regiment. This battalion rotates with two other line infantry/rifle battalions in the air assault role as part of 16 Air Assault Brigade. The Royal Irish Regiment is the last remaining Irish infantry of the line.

 

Copthorne Barracks, Shrewsbury (SJ477129)

Built in 1878 as the base of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry.  It is now headquarters of the British Army 5th Infantry Division, headquarters of 143 (West Midlands) Brigade,  E (Rifles) Company Mercian Regiment TA, 202 Field Hospital TA, Shrewsbury Air Training Corps and the Shropshire Army Cadet Force.

 

Craven Arms Drill Hall, Craven Arms (SO4382)

Housed elements of 'C' Squadron Shropshire Yeomanry and 'G' Company 4th Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. Now closed.

 

Dawley Bank TA Centre, Telford (SJ684087)

Currently houses elements of Royal Mercian & Lancastrian Yeomanry. 

 

Ellesmere Drill Hall, Ellesmere (SJ401346)

Located on Birch Road.

 

Highley Drill Hall, Highley (SO7483)

Housed elements of 'F' Company 4th Kings Shropshire Light Infantry.  Now closed.

 

Hodnet Drill Hall, Hodnet (SJ6128)

Housed elements of 'C' Company 4th Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. Now closed.

 

Kinnersley House HQ, Belle Vue Road, Shrewsbury (SJ4911)

North Wales Area HQ and Mid-West District HQ.

 

Much Wenlock Drill Hall, Much Wenlock (SO6299)

Housed elements of 'D' Squadron Shropshire Yeomanry and 'D' Company 4th Kings Shropshire Light Infantry.  Now closed.

 

Newport Drill Hall, Newport (SJ7418)

Housed elements of 'D' Squadron Shropshire Yeomanry and 'E' Company 4th Kings Shropshire Light Infantry.  Now closed.

Oakengates Drill Hall, Oakengates (SJ7011)

Housed elements of 'E' Company 4th Kings Shropshire Light Infantry.  Now closed.

 

Pontesbury Drill Hall, Pontesbury (SJ3905)

Housed elements of 'A' Squadron Shropshire Yeomanry. Now closed.

 

Prees Heath Camp, Prees Heath (SJ564375)

Army Camp replaced by RAF Tilstock.

 

Pulverbach Drill Hall, Pulverbatch (SJ4202)

Housed elements of 'A' Squadron Shropshire Yeomanry. Now closed.

 

Rhadley House HQ, Kennedy Road, Shrewsbury (SJ4811)

Welsh Border Sub-District HQ.

 

Sundorne TA Centre, Shrewsbury (SJ512146)

Houses 95 Signal Squadron.

 

Trefonen Drill Hall, Trefonen (SJ2526)

Housed elements of 'A' Squadron Montgomeryshire Yeomanry. Now closed.

 

Trench TA Centre, Telford (SJ698133)

Houses 123 Ammunition Squadron, Royal Logistic Corps.

 

Wellington Drill Hall, Telford (SJ655114)

Located on King Street.

 

Westbury Fixer Station (SJ347103)

The site of an airfield fixer station which served Rednal Airfield. In the early 1950s it operated as a Very High Frequency (VHF) Fixer Station. This was one of a network of 57 stations established in England by the Royal Air Force. It was built by 1951 as part of the Rotor programme to modernise the United Kingdom's radar defences. The station operated under the command of Western Sector as part of Fixer Organisation One and provided directional finding equipment, enabling fighter aircraft crews to receive positional data by transmitting a signal. By 1970 the station had been dismantled and the site given over to agricultural use.