Shropshire History




to Index



Shropshire has more than its fair share of ghosts, as those living in old mansions or walking along lonely roads at night will tell you. Some of the stories, such as the girl at Wem, have been made up but many others are unexplained. For those wishing to learn more about ghost stories in Shropshire, they should check the Paranormal Database website and the book Haunted Hostelries of Shropshire by Andrew Homer. For background on the subject of ghosts check the blogspot Paranormalistics.


Gazetteer of Ghosts




Grid Reference



Acton Burnell







In 2004, a ghostly girl dressed in white lace was seen at the ruined site of Acton Burnell Castle. A student managed to photograph a strange misty face and reported hearing scratching noises.







A ghost once appeared at Acton Burnell House, entering a bedroom and announcing “Mass is at eight o'clock” before disappearing.





Apley Forge




On 9th May 1707, Hannah was walking from her home at Newton and was crossing the river on the ferry boat to prepare St Calixtus church at Astley Abbotts for her wedding the next day. Unfortunately, she fell in and was drowned. The “maiden’s garland” (made for the funerals of unmarried women of blameless reputation) still hangs in an alcove of the church as her memorial. Her ghost, wearing a long dark dress, was observed by motorists along the road several times in the 20th century. Mr Tipton had a similar experience in the same area. He was twelve at the time and was cycling home towards Colemore Green late in the evening, after finishing work on a nearby farm. Suddenly in front of him he saw a man wearing a suit. As he approached the figure, it faded and disappeared into the surrounding hedge. It was only once he had got over the shock of its vanishing did he recall the ghost’s attire: a dark brown suit and breeches. Could this have been Hannah’s husband to be looking for her?



Ash Magna




In the 1970s, a motorcyclist reported seeing a ghostly monk near Ash Grange. His face was covered by a hood and he was floating around 30cms above the ground. It was also seen by two brothers.









John (Mad Jack) Mytton was a local eccentric who lived with 2,000 dogs and 60 cats. He is also reputed to have drunk six bottles of port per day. His money eventually ran out and he died in a debtor prison. However, once a year on his birthday (30th September), his ghost is reputed to visit the Mytton & Mermaid Hotel. Ladies have felt unwelcome attention and he has been seen leaping from the roof or riding over the bridge.








Tom Moody was paranoid about being buried alive and took elaborate steps to ensure it never happened. His ghost still walks his home at Willey Hall, often accompanied by one of his favourite hounds.









Having hanged himself, this headless man is reputed to still drive his horse and trap around the neighbourhood. In 2009 somebody heard the sound of a horse passing close to her late at night but nothing could be seen.




Benthall Edge




A man carrying the week's wages for his mining crew was robbed and buried alive in this area in the late 19th century. Cries and screams are still reported coming from his living grave.





Bomere Heath





In 2005, a driver and his wife watched an elderly lady wearing grey with a headscarf run across the road ahead of them. The scene was weird, as the figure looked wispy and her clothes appeared to be moving slower than the woman herself. Stranger still, while the driver had watched her cross the road from the left hand side, his wife saw her cross from the right.








At one time, Shropshire sheep drovers would stay in a bunkhouse at the Horns of Boningale Inn, which has now become the dining room. The story goes that a fight between two of the drovers resulted in the death of one of them. Since then, the apparition of a man dressed in a smock has been seen at times in the dining room. In the same room, a short lady has also been seen cleaning the tables. When the staff go for a proper look there is never anyone there. Similarly, when bar staff go to serve a man dressed in tweed leaning against the bar he suddenly isn't there. In the kitchen there was an annoying ghost called Henry who would hide things for a few weeks before they would turn up again. One night the landlady felt the chill of Henry’s presence in bed and called out “bugger off Henry”. She then felt a ghostly hand go through her hair. There were several smells that occurred in the cellar, including sweat, perfume and pipe smoke.






Charlotte Wenlock and Nick Guest were bottling up in the Punchbowl Inn on Ludlow Road when the security camera picked up a figure inside the building by the front door. When they went to check there was nobody there. Oher incidents include a little girl crying, glasses breaking, microwaves going bang, light bulbs blowing up and figures walking through walls. The landlord’s three-year-old son held a conversation with Jessie, the ghost of a young girl, in their living accommodation.





During construction of the railway tunnel under Bridgnorth, a worker was run over by a cart and killed. He may have been the ghost seen by a Home Guard sentry during the war, walking out of the tunnel towards him until it disappeared. After the war, the tunnel was used by local children to play in and on one bonfire night they were letting off fireworks inside. A bright figure came towards them out of the darkness and they ran off. The line as closed in 1963.






The occupant of Ebenezer Cottage on Ebenezer Row was a little old man who lived alone and would not open the door to anyone. When he died, the new occupant started seeing the old man. He appears to live in the attic and shuffles around there.






Two ladies staying in Room 12 the Croft Hotel on St Mary’s Street complained of hearing bells ringing all through the night and hands tugging at their feet. Another guest staying in Room 2 awoke to find a figure standing at the bottom of his bed. A ghostly lady dressed in black has also been seen walking through the dining room.







Originally called the Hen & Chickens, the Friars on St Mary’s Street has several ghosts. One night the barman heard screaming in the cellar and rushed up the stairs. He sat down and put his hand under a low shelf to pull a box of crisps out, only for a hand to grip his arm and try with great strength to pull him under the shelf. It was such a force he was badly bruised.






At the Railwayman’s Arms on Platform 1 of the Severn Valley Railway Station, a small shot glass shot off a shelf on its own and onto the floor. A lady in blue has also been seen both upstairs and in the cellar.







The George Inn on Hollybush Road used to be known as The Hollyhead and, at that time, unexplained noises were heard from upstairs including the sound of an old brass light switch being turned on and off. Once late at night the landlord saw a shadowy figure behind the bar and his friend sitting opposite suddenly felt as if he was on fire. The presence of a woman is sometimes felt, accompanied by the smell of a sweet perfume.






The White Lion on Castle Street has a number of resident ghosts but the worst is a lady in a white flowing gown, believed to come from the old White Lady Convent. She is a harbinger of death and anyone who sees her will die soon afterwards. Another woman has been seen upstairs wearing a straw bonnet with a shawl around her shoulders and carrying a basket. She walked straight across the lounge and disappeared. A group of psychics visited and discovered two children whose mother had committed suicide. A few weeks later, pennies started to appear on the bar in the morning. The first was a worn penny dated 1906 and two more followed dated up to 1920. The landlord was getting a tea towel out of a drawer and found an old hairbrush on top of them. He asked his family but nobody knew where it had come from. He placed it on the bar but next day it was back in the drawer. In another incident, one morning they found most of the plates in the kitchen had bene smashed on the floor. The exception was eight plates placed in two perfect rows. In 2010, a plumber was working under the sink when he felt a tap on his shoulder and a man’s voice asking if he was all right. When he came out from under the sink the room was empty. On another occasion, the landlord saw a grey haired woman go past a group of customers and walk down the corridor towards the toilets. Thinking she had walked in off the street to use the toilets, he switched off the lights in the Ladies toilets. After a few minutes, one of the regulars asked where the woman had gone as he hadn’t seen her come back. The landlord, worried that she had suffered an accident, checked in both the Ladies and Gents toilets but nobody was there. There was no other way out. Yet another ghost of an old man in a flat cap sometimes sits in the corner with a dog.






Bryan & Knott’s shop on the High Street used to be a sweet shop with accommodation above. It is believed that there was a suicide in the building in the past. A cleaner became very unsettled on the first floor and two dogs brought in refused to go up there. Two decorators were employed to decorate the upstairs during the night and one fell asleep on a settee. He was woken by someone shaking him but there was nobody in the room and his friend was on the other side of the building.






The Crown & Raven on High Street is supposed to be haunted and a medium refused to go into the catering kitchen. Compressed air in the cellar would switch itself on and off, as well as the bathroom light in the landlord’s flat. They had two Alsatian dogs but these refused to go upstairs into the flat. The landlady came down one morning and said Good Morning to a man doing the bottling up. He said she was more sociable than the young girl he had seen earlier behind the bar who had ignored him completely. She told him that there was no young girl working or staying at the pub. A bit later she held a seance with some friends and found out that the young girl was a chambermaid who found out that her fiance was having an affair with someone else. She killed the other girl and was hanged for murder.






At the Swan on High Street, staff were preparing to open up when the barman looked up and saw a man in front of him. He was wearing a 1920s style white suit and a floppy white hat. The barman thought he had wandered in off the street and looked towards the door but it was still bolted. When he looked back the figure had disappeared. Others have seen this figure but each time they look away it disappears. A woman dressed in black with lace up boots has been seen outside the Swan. She appears to float down the High Street and as soon as she approaches the Cartway she disappears. She is believed to be a woman who committed suicide after her lover broke her heart.






The Theatre on the Steps on Stoneway Steps dates from 1709 and is located on the route between High and Low Towns. A lady dressed in green has been seen passing down the stairs and through the foyer. Also sometimes seen on the balcony. In the bar, strange light effects have sometimes been seen. During a charity ghost hunt, Andrew Homer arrived early and met two women waiting by the door. They could hear voices inside but the door was locked. Despite banging on the door, nobody opened it. The voices got louder and they heard people moving around and laughing. Just then the caretaker arrived with the key. When they went inside the building was empty. On other occasions, staff have heard voices but found nobody there.






Two children were playing in the cellar of Magpie House (now Bassa Villa pub) when the River Severn broke its banks and they were drowned. A woman in black has been observed moving around the building and is sometimes heard crying.







The Black Boy on the Cartway has several ghosts including a green lady and three other women.






Southwells Carpet Factory was built on the site of a priory and there have been several sightings of a ghost known as Old Mo. He was a monk at the Friary but set aside his Holy vows and took to drinking, fornication and all things un-holy. Old Mo carried on his un-holy ways until his brethren could take no more. One night, as he returned to the priory, he was confronted by a group of monks who tried to reason with him but to no avail. The situation soon turned to one of violence and Old Mo was bludgeoned and then poisoned. His body was disposed of in the river. During the war, Bert James saw the ghost of a man dressed in a grey habit tied at the waist by a rope cord. In 1949, Ceil Rushton saw a figure in a long purple robe glide from the factory and down towards the river. Around the same time, Mrs Street encountered a figure as she passed through the old part of the factory. It was the ghost of a monk dressed from head to foot in a white habit. He silently approached her up the basement steps but, on reaching the top, turned and descended again.






A man called Willie used to visit the Falcon Inn on St John’s Street at lunchtimes with his secretary. After he died, glasses would shatter unexpectedly and a diner who had known Willie felt his presence behind her. The table at which Willie and his secretary usually sat was often thrown into disorder, including one occasion when his widow and family had booked a meal.






Soon after moving into a house on Cann Hall Drive, a woman started experiencing strange events. First a smell like sewage appeared for two days and then disappeared. Next a wind-up toy on the stairs started moving, even though the spring was broken. Things in the bathroom would also be moved onto the floor.








A man who committed suicide in the village is said to return in the form of a large black dog.








In 1986, a person at a property in this area watched two speaking faces appear in a wall. Others reported seeing a servant girl manifest on the end of a bed. A couple of years later, witnesses outside spotted a man standing by a window, although the property was empty. Disembodied footsteps were also reported.






A white figure, wearing a poke bonnet and carrying a candle, appeared in front of three witnesses in the ruined churchyard before quickly disappearing. A photographer claims to have captured her on film. Could this be connected to nearby burial site for victims of a cholera outbreak in 1832?









Ironbridge power station is built partly on the site of a ruined abbey and several workers have reported seeing a ghostly black monk walking around the modern building. One employee also reported seeing a phantom woman floating in his path who vanished before his eyes. Both audio and visual paranormal experiences have been reported by local residents from Leighton village.






A ghost was supposedly bottled and buried under the steps of the Combermere Arms by two clergymen. When the steps were replaced hundreds of years later, no bottle was found.








In 1965, the ghost of a Cavalier soldier on horseback was seen riding silently around the lanes leading to this village.



Chetwynd Aston





Having died in childbirth, Madam Pigott was seen dozens of times in 1969 carrying her baby and combing its hair. Some also reported the lady having a cat with her. She was eventually exorcised by twelve parsons, though in 1969 two motorists separately reported a white figure on the road near the church.

Church Stretton





A couple were woken up at the Longmynd Hotel early in the morning to see wisps of a muted red colour swirling around the ceiling. The wisps moved towards the door and a hazy figure took shape before disappearing.







Screams can be heard on Hazler Hill of a young girl who fell to her death down the open shaft of an old copper mine.



Clee Hill



The pub used to be called the Craven Arms until the height of the Cold War. Radio Moscow and Russian voices could regularly be heard coming from the juke box when no records were playing. As a result, the landlord decided to rename the pub the Kremlin Inn. Outside, a large ghostly dog has been seen wearing a jewel encrusted collar and with glowing red eyes. If confronted, it will suddenly disappear.


Cleobury Mortimer




In Room 6 of the Talbot Hotel, the presence of a ghost called Mary can be felt as a waft of cold air.








Lord Knyvett of Condover Hall was murdered by his son and the finger of blame was pointed at the butler. Just before being hanged, the butler cursed the descendants of Knyvett's family, vowing that they would not prosper while living in the hall. Knyvett's bloody handprint, left on a wall where he fell, could not be washed away so the stone was chipped away. More recently, the sound of footsteps and doors closing have been heard at night and a couple dressed in Victorian clothing spotted.









The last remaining Avro Lincoln Bomber situated at Cosford Aerospace Museum is said to be haunted by a pilot seen in the cockpit. A tape recorder left on board overnight picked up the sounds of a busy airfield, though the hanger and the area were devoid of life.







In 1788, the ghost of the previous owner of Coton Hall, Corbet Kynaston, appeared so many times that it became too much for the current inhabitants to bear. They called upon the services of six ministers to banish the spirit. After a long round of praying and candle burning, the ministers convinced the ghost to enter a glass bottle which they quickly sealed and threw into the nearby Coton Pool. Even though this method of laying to rest is supposed to work for one thousand years, tenants in Coton Hall at the turn of the 19th century complained of milk churns rolling about and a bush at the edge of the pool bursting into blue flames.






The sounds of two monks fighting can be heard in Easthope churchyard, even though both men died as they fell down the stone staircase to the cellar.








The white ghost of a woman is said to occupy a house chimney at Oteley Park.






In 1965, two men driving through the village encountered a colourless horse and rider standing in the middle of the road. The rider appeared to be dressed in 17th century clothing. The horse then galloped away across a nearby field.







A titled lady was buried with some of her most valuable jewels in a vault of Fitz church. Obrick, the parish clerk, broke open the tomb and robbed the corpse. Another version claims that he found she had been buried alive so he murdered her and yet another version that he was so terrified at finding her alive that he dropped the jewels and fled. Whatever Obrick did, nothing prospered with him afterwards. The local villagers used to say "He niver no pace atter. A was sadly troubled in his yed and mithered". All versions agree that afterwards the tomb, churchyard and nearby Cutbury Hollow (SO457184) were haunted by her ghost in the form of a white colt. They called it Obrick's Colt and one night the clerk met it. He fell on his knees saying, "Abide, Satan abide, I am a righteous man and a psalm singer".



Haughmond Hill



Seen exploring the abbey ruins, this monk has popped up several times over the past hundred years. Other ghostly monks have been seen walking through the arched doorways before fading away.




High Ercall






A US Air Force pilot in flying kit, with ginger hair and known as Henry, has been seen at the former High Ercall airfield.




The Bear Inn has a friendly ghost. One paranormal group said the ghost was Jasper Neilsen, a merchant who died of hypothermia late in the sixteenth century.





A force of twenty-eight Roundhead soldiers was besieged in Hopton Castle for two weeks by a force of five hundred Royalists. The defenders surrendered on 14th March but were slaughtered as they left the building. The ghosts of the soldiers return annually on this date. A maid is also reported to walk the site.







A ghostly horseman has been seen on the footpath between Ightfield Hall and the village. He charges at people before vanishing.








Room 5 of the Tontine Hotel is rumoured to be haunted by a person who was murdered there in the dim and distant past.









The demolished Red Church was reputed to be haunted by a young girl wearing a bonnet and flowing cloak and carrying a lantern.





Two young children were drowned in the River Severn and crying has been reported ever since in the area of Ferry Road. This may be connected with the disaster in 1799 when the ferry overturned and 28 people were drowned.






Angered to such a degree by his daughter eloping with a man he hated, Sir George Blount gained his revenge by coming back from the dead and terrorising this village. He was seen on horseback and would scare locals washing their clothes in a long gone pond. A group of clergymen finally bottled the ghost and buried it in the local churchyard.







Tortured cries can often be heard coming from under Lilleshall Abbey, sometimes drowned out by the singing of hymns. Lawson Clout spotted a ghostly monk here in 2004, though the figure vanished before he had a chance to take any photos. The apparition was described as being dressed in a black robe and was holding a book.






In 2010, a woman was woken up in the early hours by the distant shouts and cheers of hundreds of men as if in a battle. She awoke her husband who also heard it and the sounds appeared to upset the local dogs which began to bark.







Black Pool lies beside the road from Longnor to Leebotwood and is reputed to be bottomless. The White Lady is in the habit of coming out of the Black Pool at night and wandering along the road. A man called Hughes is reputed to have seen her in 1881 as he was going over the narrow foot-bridge beside the ford over Longnor Brook. “I saw her coming and I thought here's a nice young wench. Who is she, I'll give her a fright. I waited until she came close up to me, right in the middle of the bridge, and I stretched out my arms and I clasped her in them tight. And there was nothing. She came down here to the village once. There was a great party held in the garden and Joe Wigley was playing the fiddle. They were all dancing and she came and danced, all in white. Everyone was saying 'What a nice young woman - here's the one for me - I'll have a dance out of her' - and so on. And she danced with them, round in a ring but they could never catch hold of her hand. At last she disappeared all of a sudden and then they found out who it had been dancing along with them. They all went off in a desperate hurry and there was never any dancing there anymore. Old Nancy declared that this shadowy fair one was the ghost of a lady that had been disappointed in love and had drowned herself in the Black Pool. But White Ladies is the name for fairies”.






Major Smallman was a Cavalier officer and his home at Wilderhope Manor was once besieged by Roundheads during the latter stages of the Civil War. The major managed to escape on horseback and, being pursued, took a do-or-die plunge down a steep slope at nearby Wenlock Edge. His horse was killed but Smallman survived, thanks to an apple tree breaking his fall. Since then the ghosts of Smallman and his horse are said to appear in an area now known as Major’s Leap and also at the manor. The manor is also reported to be haunted by a young girl who smiles at any witnesses before screaming horribly.






The castle is said to be haunted by the ghost of Marion de la Bruere. In 1138, Matilda captured Ludlow Castle and King Stephen placed it under siege. Marion had a secret lover called Arnold de Lys, who got into the castle by a rope that Marion lowered over the battlements. One night, Arnold climbed into the castle but left the rope for a hundred of his soldiers to climb up and capture the castle. Marion, realising her betrayal, snatched Arnold's sword and slit his throat before throwing herself from the Hanging Tower. Some have claimed to have heard her screams as she falls to the rocks below. Others say she used to be seen wandering around the base of the tower itself. The Hanging Tower is also supposed to be haunted by the sound of heavy breathing, believed to be a ghostly soldier.




A soldier from the nearby castle has been seen at the Blue Boar pub and is named as the Officer of the Tower. When last seen in the 1950s, he wore a blue tunic with shiny silver buttons. Other ghosts said to be residing here include a Cavalier soldier, an aging Victorian woman, a pipe-smoking man and a teenage girl.






The old Globe Inn (now a Chinese restaurant) is reputedly haunted by Edward Dobson, who was a Tudor soldier garrisoned at Ludlow Castle. He died in a pub brawl around 1553 and his ghost now appears hovering over the spot where he died. He is described as wearing a cloak and a wig. A Birmingham business man staying at the Globe Inn also met a figure on the second story around 2.00am. He wished the figure goodnight but the next day he discovered that no other guests were staying at the Inn and nobody knew who this figure was.






Corve Street was once the site of a Grey Friars Priory with links to St Leonard's Church. The street now has the reputation of being haunted and a nurse called Evelyn Sheppard had a strange experience there in 1971. "In front of me was a refined-looking gentleman wearing the style of clothes associated with the caricature of John Bull. He was hurrying toward St Leonard's Chapel when he hesitated and suddenly faded away on reaching the burial ground there. There was nothing frightening about the figure, or his vanishing, it was just puzzling. The time was early evening and there were not many people about". It has also been noted that whilst dogs are being walked down Corve Street they become uncharacteristically unnerved.






The Feathers Hotel is a 17th century building and its name relates to the ostrich feathers that are part of the design in the exterior wooden façade. During the Civil War, Royalist’s were billeted there. One woman had an unusual experience in Room 211, when a spirit dragged out of her bed by her hair. Eventually she got back into bed and fell asleep, only to be awoken later when she was drenched in water. Only she was wet, not the bed. Apparently her partner had a rather peaceful sleep feeling the sensation of his cheek being stroked. In Room 232 both staff and guests have witnessed the apparition of a Victorian man walking his dog. They cross the room, pass into Room 233, and then vanish. In 1974, a Mr Ainsley was late for an appointment at the hotel and was finding parking in the unfamiliar town difficult. Eventually he found a parking spot opposite the hotel itself but was in an agitated state by this time. He crossed over the road and was about to enter the hotel when he realised that he had forgotten something that he had left in his car. Turning back to his car, he saw a young sixteen-year old girl, wearing a flimsy blouse and mini skirt, walk across the road and pass straight through his car before vanishing. After entering the hotel, he was informed that he was the sixth person to have seen this same ghost. A local called Colin Smith managed to identify the girl as someone who was still living. In 1974 she was staying in Ludlow and often crossed the Bull Ring to visit her aunt who lived near The Feathers.






St Lawrence’s Church is supposedly haunted by an old woman, wearing a long robe and having grey hair. She moves through the churchyard between the graves and also near the rectory.  It has been suggested that she may appear more often on summer evenings and sometimes screams. The church was built in 1199 and received further additions in the mid-1400s.






Walking near where their priory once stood, a small procession of ghostly white monks was seen in the 19th century after dark.






The area is reportedly haunted by a headless white woman.





In 1997, a large white cat was seen close to Lyneal Mill Cottages and was reported to resemble a lion.






Shadowy ghosts of monks have been seen at the Madeley Court Hotel. It is also the haunt of an old woman who is seen smiling before disappearing. Cries of a woman in pain have also been heard coming from the surrounding gardens.







A headless man was seen in Madeley in the 1970s and it so terrified a teenage girl that she never returned to the area.

Market Drayton




In 2011, during building work at the Sandbrook Vaults pub, joiner Eddie Smith witnessed a misty outline. Fearing he had fired a nail into the pipes, he rushed to the spot but the mist had vanished.






A chambermaid hanged herself in Room 7 of the Corbett Arms pub after her boyfriend ran away. Single men staying in the room have been awoken to find the bedcovers thrown to the floor.






Douglas Patterson was asleep in the Sweeney Hall Hotel when he was awoken by a light shining through the window. He took a picture and when he looked at his camera in the morning he was startled to see the image of a person in the foreground of the picture. There had been nothing there when he took the picture. What could be seen was the outline of a woman dressed in old fashioned clothing. Other reports have been of furniture knocking and footsteps along the back corridor.





In the 1970s, a gardener at Berrington Hall saw someone unlocking a stable door. This was strange since the key had been missing for years. He went to investigate but the stables were locked and deserted. In 1995, two cleaners asked the property manager if they could go and look at the horses they had seen in the stables as they came in. They were assured that there were no horses and had not been for years. One theory is that these incidents are connected to the fact that Lord Cawley lost three of his four sons in France during the First World War and they were all keen horsemen. In 2010, a paranormal group visited Berrington Hall and, on entering one of the bedrooms, a figure dressed in a nightgown and cap rose from the bed and called for her husband George. When one of the group answered “Good evening Lady Cawley”, she presumed he was the butler and told him to empty the chamber pot.


Moreton Corbet



During the construction of Moreton Corbet Castle, the owner was cursed by a neighbour for being uncaring and the castle was never finished. The ruins are said to be haunted by an aging man and a younger gentleman, who were caught on camera in 2003.






In the 1970s, the landlady of the Acton Arms spotted a ghost several times a day. It was described as the figure of a Benedictine monk and could be Richard Manners, Abbot of Shrewsbury and last Prior of Morville. However, it could also be another monk who is known to have frequented the inn in the 16th century, where he used to do his womanizing. The monk is mainly seen upstairs appearing as a white form and only vaguely in the shape of a man. His figure has been seen in an upstairs corridor moving from room to room. Rarer still are his appearances in the corridor but he has been frequently seen in one of the bedrooms, standing quietly in the corner.


Much Wenlock


Renolds House on High Street is a timber framed building with a mid-floor balcony built in 1682. Faces have been seen at the windows and children in Victorian outfits seen playing with spinning tops on the balcony. In a nearby yard and passage, a ghostly group of people were seen with heads lowered. This is the site of a built over graveyard.





In 2002, during alterations to the Spar shop just off The Square, builders dug up ancient pottery and lots of human bones underneath the building. Soon afterwards, strange things started happening. Michelle Willis said: "I was sitting over by the computer and I could hear breathing. I opened the door but nobody was there”. Trolleys in the storeroom appeared to have moved on their own and one member of staff felt a hand on their shoulder. Jody Anderson said: "I was going out to the back to wash some cups, when I saw something appear. It stayed for 15 seconds and then it disappeared totally”. The shop is on the site of a medieval alehouse in the historic town and it is believed that the abbey cemetery was moved here in the 12th Century.




The crossroads is said to be haunted by the ghost of Mary Way, murdered on the site. The ghost is reputedly headless and wears a shimmering white dress.








A man with a wooden leg can be heard tapping his way around the Bottle and Glass Inn and strange electrical problems occur when he is around.








After Judge Leighton sentenced a builder to die, he agreed to lessen the punishment if the man helped build a new chimney stack on the roof of his home at Plaish Hall. The builder agreed but, after the work was complete, the judge hanged the man from the chimney before entombing the corpse within it. The chimney occasionally drips blood and the ghost of the builder (sometimes accompanied by an unknown woman) is still said to walk the hall.


Poynton Green



Two Czech pilots died here on 22nd October 1941, crashing in a field as they ran out of fuel. A local farmer rushed to the field in an attempt to save them but was beaten back by the flames. He did, however, see a black cat emerge from the burning wreckage. The creature made its home with a local old woman and, when she died, the cat vanished. It appears once every ten years at the crash site on the 22nd October. The next visit is due in 2021.


Prees Heath



In 2010, the group Ghost Shropshire investigated the site of the old RAF Tilstock. They reported recording the voices of children and witnessing apparitions and strange shadows.







A large group of people following a horse drawn hearse have been seen on a number of occasions, moving much more swiftly than one should expect.



Ruyton XI Towns



Anyone brave enough to walk in the churchyard at midnight may see a mist rolling up from the valley, engulfing the churchyard and old Ruyton castle. Following the mist is a headless horseman seen riding toward the old castle keep, before disappearing through ever-thickening mist.





In 2011 near to the Pant Glas junction, a witness spotted a tall white human figure twenty metres ahead. He switched on his torch and shouted a warning but the figure disappeared. The witness said that there are many sightings of white hooded figures around Selattyn and some believe that they are the guardians of the tomb belonging to a Celtic Prince who is buried on Selattyn Hill.





Haughton Hall was partly destroyed by fire and a female occupant was seen to run in flames from the rear of the hall. She died later of horrific burns to the whole of her body. A glowing figure has been seen with blue flames shooting from her body as she runs towards the lake.





A burgess of the town decided to have the clock tower built so that the people of Shifnal could see the time. Before it could be finished he was taken ill and, at the time of his death, told the people he did not want the clock finished. They took no notice of him and built the clock. Since that day a ghostly white shape has been seen leaping across the face of the clock, said to be the burgess trying to stop the clock.







The Dingle is an ornate pond in the civic gardens known as The Quarry. It is haunted by a ghost that was identified in the 1800s as a Mrs Foxhall. She was burnt alive there in 1647 for the murder of her husband by poisoning.








St Alkmund's Church is haunted by a steeplejack called George Archer. He was sat in the pub with his friends and made a bet that he could climb the church spire and turn the weathercock around. He got to the top but then overbalanced and fell off. Numerous witnesses claim to have seen his ghostly form climbing the spire at night.





In the building called Bear Steps is a clothes shop. This is haunted by a sad looking man who stands at the back of the shop.







The ghost of an unknown woman has been seen at Rowley’s House museum, lying on a bed wearing old period dress. Another ghost, that of a man wearing similar period clothing, has also been reported.





Bloudie Jack was the keeper of Shrewsbury Castle during the twelfth century. Jack used to lure young girls to the castle with promises of marriage and then murder them after having his evil way. He then buried the bodies apart from the fingers and toes, which he cut off to keep as souvenirs. A young girl named Mary-Anne went missing and her sister Fanny searched for her at the castle. She discovered Jack’s souvenirs in the chest and fled to inform the local authorities, who arrested Jack. He was sentenced to death then hanged, drawn and quartered. His head was displayed upon a pole at Wyle Cop. Many witnesses claim to have seen his ghost in the castle grounds over the years, sometimes dragging Mary-Anne by her hair to her death.




The print shop called PDC Copyprint on Princess Street has ghosts of four children who were trapped in a previous building on the site that burned down. Another ghost is believed to be their mother trying to save them. There is the ghost of a man who was murdered here by being stabbed.  Some customers have felt a sudden pressure on the chest. Finally, there is the ghost of a young servant girl who was so unhappy that she hanged herself from a beam in one of the rooms.






The Golden Cross Inn on Princess Street was built to serve visitors to Shrewsbury Abbey. The ghost of a monk has been seen here.




At the Prince Rupert Hotel on Butcher Row, a ghostly male figure was seen passing through a wall. A medium saw a ghostly maid called Martha on a staircase and pillows have been moved from rooms into the lift. Room 6 is said to be haunted by the spirit of a jilted bride who hanged herself there. Room 7 is apparently occupied by the ghost of a jilted groom, who also killed himself. A medium picked up on a small girl with long curly blonde hair about 7 years of age and a small Scottie dog. They were in the corridor below the stairs and she was wearing very old clothes, which may have been hand stitched like a servant’s work. He was informed in the morning by staff whilst having breakfast that, up until the hotel changed hands several years previously, an old original oil painting of a little girl with a Scottie dog hung in the present breakfast area. It was removed and sold.





Several of the shops at Pride Hill are haunted. Upstairs in W H Smith is a woman who disintegrates when you look at her rather than disappear. Burger King has a soldier in a First World War uniform.







Raven Meadows is supposedly haunted by a milkmaid who keeps repeating "Weight and measure sold I ever, milk and water sold I never" as she walks up and down. Perhaps she has a guilty conscience about something.






In the 2000s, a lady in grey was seen in the Adam Ballroom of the Lion Hotel standing on the balcony. The Tudor bar is said to be the home of an old soldier in uniform






In Barrack Passage there are the ghosts of several of Henry Tudor’s soldiers who were killed at the battle of Bosworth. They stayed here on the way to the battle and presumably returned to a place they were made welcome in.





The Old House on Dogpole has the ghost of a man crouching at the top of the stairs, who then disappears. Sometimes his footsteps can be heard walking up or down the stairs and this is accompanied by the smell of cooking bacon. It has been suggested that the smell is actually burning flesh and, since the old owners were Roman Catholics, perhaps someone was burned at the stake.






At the Nag’s Head pub, there are heard the combined sounds of crying, moaning and footsteps.



In the former graveyard of St Julian’s Church is the grave of a man who died in the Lion Hotel. He had no identity on him but there was a bit of money which paid for him to be buried anonymously. That night, groaning sounds were heard from the grave so next morning the coffin was dug up. He was dead by then but he had been buried alive and had scratched at the coffin lid trying to get out. In this area, terrible groaning noises can sometimes be heard at night.




The Parade Shopping Centre used to be the Royal Salop Infirmary, built in 1830 and closed in 1977. When still a hospital, nursing staff at night would sometimes see the White Lady standing by a bed staring at the patient. If so, they knew that the patient would die during the night. The old matron haunts the area where the operating theatres were and a ghost known as Fred haunts where the kitchens were.





In Castle Court, the old police station is jaunted by a policeman who killed himself. In the former Methodist church opposite, a man has been seen in a blue suit.






The building in School Gardens with the date stone 1705 used to be the old gaol. It has now been converted into offices and a poltergeist is active in one of them. It moves things around and on one occasion, in front of everyone, a roll of sticky tape floated through the air.




In 2009, the West Midlands Ghost Club carried out an investigation at Shrewsbury Library that recorded the sound of female voices. Returning later in the year, they recorded a clanging noise which ended in a loud bang. The building used to be Shrewsbury School and a Grey Lady has been seen there, believed to be the wife of one of the teachers.





In 1887 William Heath, a local Councillor and coal merchant, was killed when part of Shrewsbury Station roof collapsed and landed on him. He has been seen waiting around, either sitting or standing at the entrance from Castle Street and on platform three.




The Dun Cow was built by Roger de Montgomery around 1085, making it one of the oldest inns in Britain. In 1980 Mrs Hayes, the landlord’s wife, awoke to see a hooded monk in her bedroom, bent over the cot of her infant daughter. His habit was described as having dots of bright colour on it. The monk was also seen by the daughter two years later and she screamed as she awoke to find him there. The monk was also seen by Mr Hayes and apparently some visitors have seen shadowy figures passing through walls there. The pub is close to Shrewsbury's 11th Century Benedictine Abbey. A murderous cavalier, believed to have been executed at the inn's stables, has been seen, as well as the ghost of a Dutchman, who came over with King William of Orange. The latter got into an argument with a young squire and killed him. For this he was hanged.





The ghost of lady Sarah appears during the dead of night at the Hole in the Wall pub. She walks through the bar area before vanishing.






The Snailbeach Mine is believed to have been started by the Romans digging for lead. Over the years, there have been a number of fatalities, including an accident where the cage chain broke, plunging it down the shaft with men inside. Ghostly figures have been seen part way up Day Level and a photograph in Perkins Level appears to show a ghostly figure accompanying a party of visitors.





In March 2009, while travelling from Telford to Bridgnorth on the A442, both passenger and driver of a car spotted a black human shape wearing a long coat, on the side of the road. They thought the figure would step out in front of the car but it disappeared before doing so. Could it be connected to the old Ewdness Manor nearby?





The Bell Inn is a 19th century country pub with a large conservatory used as a dining room. It is here that the ghost of a mischievous little girl is seen flitting amongst the tables. She is only ever seen for a split second, and often only out the corner of the eye, but the description of a little girl with long curly hair wearing a party dress is always the same. She is prone to rearranging the cutlery after tables have been laid ready for diners and she likes nothing better than to cross the knives and forks over at right angles to each other. On occasions the staff have laid the tables the night before only to find all the cutlery crossed over when they open up the dining room again in the morning.






In 2013, CCTV footage caught a pile of boxes falling unaided. Some believe this to be the work of a poltergeist while others claim that they were just poorly stacked.






The Swan Hotel is haunted by a ghost nicknamed Humphrey, the victim of a mugging in the 1800s. He was seen by the former cook, Mrs Peggy Sayer, on the landing and described as wearing a thick leather coat and trousers. He is said to be friendly and walks up and down the corridors outside the bedrooms.





A number of events happened in 1883 at the Wood’s farm associated with Emma Davies. Click on the link for a detailed account from the book “A Search for Meaning in Victorian Religion”. Incidents included plates throwing themselves onto the floor, loaves of bread that attacked people and the baby's cradle catching fire, with the infant still in it.





On 19th November 1995, Wem Town Hall burnt down. As it was burning, some locals gathered to watch and Tony O'Rahilly, took a picture showing what appears to be a young girl in the doorway of the burning building. Nobody saw her there at the time and her dress was old fashioned.


Wem Town Hall: by Tony O'Rahilly


The photograph was examined by experts, who said it “showed no sign of having been tampered with". It was suggested that the girl depicted in the photograph was Jane Churm, associated with the Great Wem Fire of 3rd March 1677. At the time of the fire she was about fourteen and, whilst looking for fuel for the family fire, she inadvertently ignited their thatched roof with a candle flame. The dry conditions enabled the fire to spread quickly, burning homes and businesses throughout Wem. Since then, local legend associated her guilt ridden ghost with the old Wem Town Hall and she was reputedly seen on a number of occasions. One such incident involved two workmen in the old hall doing some refurbishment work, who reported being terrified by a ghostly figure shrouded in a swirling mist which passed directly in front of them.


A BBC programme had a copy of the photograph analysed again by experts. It was concluded that the image had in fact been manipulated and they detected scan lines where a photo of a face had been pasted into the picture of the fire. In 2010, Brian Lear spotted a little girl bearing a striking resemblance to the girl in the flames on a postcard of Wem High Street dating from 1922. She can be seen standing in a doorway on the bottom left hand side of the postcard.


Figure 4   Figure 5


Closer analysis of both images side by side revealed that the folds in her bonnet and dress are identical, as is the narrow sash she is wearing around her waist. The little girl’s right hand and thumb are also clearly visible in both images. There can be little doubt that this is the source of the picture which had intrigued so many people for so long. Tony O’Rahilly had passed away in 2005 so could not comment on the deception.







In 2005, while the building was being investigated by a paranormal group, the voice of a young girl was recorded in the main cellar on CCTV.







The ghostly notes of a piano were heard for several nights, drifting from the unmanned civic centre. An investigation failed to find the cause of the noise.







In the twin gatehouse towers of Whittington Castle, the ghosts of two small children are often seen peering out of the small windows.